Sloth, Envy, Greed, Wrath, Lust, Pride, Gluttony, and……

One of the many things I find annoying and irritating about my fellow human beings is the unpardonable act of willful ignorance.  I don’t mean not knowing something because you haven’t learned it yet or never learned it at all — Calculus is something I never learned in school because I didn’t have to, I just needed pre-Calculus — I’m talking about people who know that what they believe/think is wrong, but continue to believe it or think it because they don’t care.

Let’s take for example, people who think President Obama was not born in the United States.  No matter how much evidence has been released, they refuse to accept that he was born in Hawaii.  I don’t know if it’s because he’s black and they don’t think black people should be President or if it’s because he has an Arabic name and they don’t think people with Arabic names should be President, but they just cannot wrap their minds around the fact they’re wrong and that they were lied to by people wanting to exploit their ignorance and hatred for ratings.  I’d feel sorry for them if they weren’t some of the most disgusting people to take part in our political landscape.  I could come up with more examples, but that’s the first group of people that jumped to mind.

Willful ignorance — the eighth Deadly Sin.

https://dailypost.wordpress.com/prompts/the-eighth-sin/

 

Advertisements

5 comments

  1. blogfia · January 30, 2016

    Wise words – I wonder about this phenomenon – is it similar to when having a lot of pain and not take pills and you get tracks in the brain? 😉

    Like

    • Beth · January 30, 2016

      I don’t know — I’m not familiar with your analogy. It’s not just politics where you see it either, though it’s far more common there than in any other sphere of life.

      Liked by 1 person

      • Gradmama2011 · January 30, 2016

        yeah, except in politics one never knows if it stupidity or duplicity…crooks or kooks … sometimes I think it would be better to have an intellligent crook than a stupid politician. Someone said once in my hearing that so-and-so politician “stole 90% off the top, but put the other 10% to work entirely for the general good.” The opposite politico would be some idiot that just wastes the entire 100% on foolishness.

        Like

  2. Gradmama2011 · January 30, 2016

    yes! perfect! The “I don’t know and I don’t want to know” crowd bugs the poop out of me too. ((pardon the technical jargon.)) Don’t bother me with facts…that’s another. Stupidity may be a synonym for willful ignorance. That has always made me furious … ever since I was a little girl, back in the day.

    Like

  3. One More Shot Please · January 30, 2016

    Hey I chose a similar one too! I think this is really good because you included real live examples. Definitely something in today’s society that people need to work on. Please check it out at https://morescoopplease.wordpress.com/

    Like

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s